We often trust that the products we use daily are safe for our skin and overall health. However, there is a common ingredient lurking in many household items that has raised concerns in recent years.
Many commercial hand soaps contain a slew of potentially harmful ingredients that can harm both our health and the environment. One common offender is triclosan, an antibacterial agent that has been linked to hormonal disruption and antibiotic resistance. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are often added for foaming, but they can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. Artificial fragrances can contain numerous undisclosed chemicals, triggering allergies and respiratory issues. Parabens, used as preservatives, have been associated with endocrine disruption.
What is SLS?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): SLS is a surfactant commonly used in personal care and cleaning products to create foaming and lathering properties. It can be derived from coconut or palm oil, making it appealing to manufacturers due to its low cost and effective cleansing abilities. SLS can be found in a wide range of household items including hand soap, shampoo and conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, and dishwashing detergents.
While SLS is prevalent in household products, research has raised concerns about its potential dangers, particularly in hand soaps. Here are some key issues:
- Skin Irritation: SLS can cause skin irritation, dryness, and redness in individuals with sensitive skin.
- Eye Irritation: These surfactants may lead to eye irritation, especially in children, as hand soap residues can easily come into contact with eyes during hand washing.
- Stripping Natural Oils: SLS can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and potential disruption of the skin barrier function.
- Allergies: Some individuals may develop allergies to these ingredients, resulting in contact dermatitis and other skin-related problems.
- Environmental Concerns: SLS is known to be an environmental pollutant, as it is difficult to biodegrade and can accumulate in waterways, posing a threat to aquatic life.
What is the solution?
One excellent solution to avoid potentially harmful ingredients is to switch to products from brands that prioritize natural and safe formulations. The Bare Home offers a range of eco-friendly and sustainable household products. Our Hand Soap is a testament to our commitment to safety and sustainability. This Hand Soap, like all of our products is crafted using a blend of natural ingredients like:
Vitamin E: This antioxidant-rich vitamin nourishes and protects the skin, combating the potential damage caused by free radicals.
Organic Citrus Sinensis Peel Oil: This ingredient has excellent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties, Orange Sweet Oil is an overall excellent skin tonic.
Organic Vetiveria Zizanoides Root Oil: A strong antioxidant, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent. Can also help treat topical skin ailments, such as eczema and rosacea.
Essential Oils: The Bare Home Hand Soap incorporates 100% organic essential oils for a delightful fragrance without the need for synthetic fragrances.
By choosing these natural alternatives, you not only protect your skin from harmful ingredients but also support a brand that prioritizes natural, sustainable, and eco-conscious alternatives that are good for eczema, sensitive skin, and are septic safe, for a healthier you and a cleaner environment.